Saturday, August 4, 2012

Doggie Treats

So I have been dying to share my puppy loves with you all. Today it is a Sweet Tooth Saturday for dogs.

Meet Heidi. We adopted her from the shelter a little over 2 years ago. She is a sweetheart.


Say hello to my big baby Winston. He is 3 years old and thinks he is a lap dog, a 140lb lap dog that is.


Today I am going to make them some treats in the shape of bones and fire hydrants.


The Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 1/4 cup hot water

First preheat oven to 350, then mix the dry ingredients together.


Next mix in the peanut butter and hot water.


Kneed into a dough ball and place on lightly floured surface.


Roll out the dough and make your shapes.



Place your bones and fire hydrants on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 40 mins. I also put an egg wash on the bones before baking. You can do this by beating an egg and brushing it on with a pastry brush. It will give them a nice shine.


The waiting begins...


Winston in front of the oven supervising the operation...


You can turn the oven off and leave the treats in to cool and harden over night or you can cool them on a rack. I placed the dogs outside(they were getting excited) and chose the rack.


Lets give the fire hydrants some color.


To achieve this I mixed 2Tbsp of cornstarch and 2Tbsp of water with a few drops of red food coloring. Then the fun part...I used my fingers and painted them red :)

I wonder if the dogs are playing out side?...Just as I suspected, right by the door waiting. Haha

Heidi: "Do you think they are done"?
Winston: "Yep I can smell them, she is holding out on us"!

Time for the long awaited taste test.


"So how were they guys"?

Heidi: "More please".
Winston: "Sluurrpp"!

I think they were a success. Keep treats in an air tight container for up to a week. If your pooches have a smaller appetite the treats will keep in a refrigerator for 3 weeks or freezer for 6 months.


Happy Sweet Tooth Saturday to all the doggies out there.

No comments: