Saturday, November 10, 2012

Grandma's Pumpkin Roll

Hello my fellow sweet toothers! I hope your Saturday is off to a sweet start. Mine is definitely off to one, while I sit here and eat today's post. Mmmmm so yummy! It is also hard to believe I have never tasted this before. I always went for the pies and turkey cut-out cookies at Thanksgiving. I know I know you are sitting there with anticipation as to what I could be eating. The next sweetest thing that could adorn your Thanksgiving table. The very thing that will WOW your family and friends. OK OK I'll share...

Grandma's Pumpkin Roll
I will admit I was a little scared to try this. I always thought how do they roll this? It looks so complicated! I had to have a little pep talk with myself and remind myself that I am always down for an adventure and that I had plenty of ingredients if I happened to mess up. So I mustered up the courage and embarked on my first pumpkin roll adventure. 

Come on take the leap of faith with me...I promise it will not disappoint :)

Ingredients:
For the cake:
¼ CUP POWDERED SUGAR (TO SPRINKLE ON TOWEL)
¾ CUP FLOUR
½ TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
½ TEASPOON BAKING SODA
½ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
½ TEASPOON GROUND CLOVES
¼ TEASPOON SALT
3 LARGE EGGS
1 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR
2/3 CUP PIMPKIN
1 CUP WALNUTS (OPTIONAL)...of course I used Hazel Nuts :)

For the filling:
1 PACKAGE (8 OUNCE) CREAM CHEESE, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 CUP POWDERED SUGAR, SIFTED
6 TABLESPOONS BUTTER, SOFTENED
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
POWDERED SUIGAR (FOR DECORATING)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES. GREASE 15X10 INCH JELLY-ROLL PAN;
LINE WITH WAX PAPER. GREASE AND FLOUR PAPER.

COMBINE FLOUR,
BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, CINNAMON, CLOVES AND SALT IN SMALL
BOWL.

 BEAT EGGS AND GRANULATED SUGAR IN A LARGE MIXER BOWL UNTIL THICK.
 BEAT IN PUMPKIN.

 STIR IN FLOUR MIXTURE. SPREAD EVENLY INTO PREPARED PAN.
 SPRINKLE WITH NUTS.
 BAKE FOR 13 TO 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOP OF CAKE SPRINGS BACK WHEN TOUCHED.

WHILE THE CAKE IS BAKING, SPRINKLE A THIN, COTTON KITCHEN TOWEL WITH POWDERED SUGAR.
 WHEN THE CAKE IS DONE BAKING.
IMMEDIATELY LOOSEN AND TURN CAKE ONTO PREPARED TOWEL. CAREFULLY PEEL
OFF PAPER.

ROLL UP CAKE AND TOWEL TOGETHER, STARTING WITH NARROW END. COOL ON WIRE RACK.
 WHILE THE CAKE IS COOLING, WORK ON THE FILLING.

BEAT CREAM CHEESE, 1 CUP POWDERED SUGAR, BUTTER AND VANILLA IN A SMALL MIXER BOWL UNTIL SMOOTH.

WHEN THE CAKE HAS COOLED, UNROLL AND SPREAD WITH THE CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE.
  REROLL CAKE. WRAP IN PLASTIC WRAP AND REFRIGERATE AT LEAST ONE HOUR.
 ONCE CHILLED, DUST WITH POWDERED SUGAR, SLICE, SERVE AND ENJOY!
Thanks for the recipe Grandma. It is a keeper! 

I hope you all try this for your Thanksgiving dinner. Stop by next week when I kick of Santa's 6 Sweet Saturdays before Christmas!

No comments: