Sunday, December 16, 2012

Fondant

Hello my fellow sweet toothers. I'm sorry I had to make you wait a day. Yesterday was a very family fun Fifth Saturday before Santa arrives. As a family we had a very special occasion to celebrate. Unfortunately I was very busy with cookie and cake pop orders for Christmas this weekend too. I have already shared those recipes with you in past posts. With everything going on and not enough hours in the day, I did not have time to do something Christmas themed for this weeks Sweet Tooth Saturday....I'm sorry! Like I said though we had a celebration yesterday and you can not have a celebration with out something sweet!

Are you all addicted to Pintrest? I am! :) I found this cake and cupcake idea there.

The cake and cupcakes are covered in fondant. Fondant and I have become very close pals over the  past few years. It all started with powdered sugar and melted marshmallows alllll over my counter tops. Let's just say it was not a nice and neat first experiment. I have perfected the process and truly enjoy working with the homemade fondant. Try it for yourself. I won't lie...it requires a little patience.

Ingredients:
1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 2lb bag of powdered sugar
3tsp of water

In a microwavable safe bowl add the marshmallows and water. Microwave in 1 minute intervals stirring in between until melted.

In a large mixing bowl sprinkle a little powdered sugar. Add the melted marshmallows to the bowl.

With a large wooden spoon mix in the powdered sugar. *This is where the patience comes in. It takes some time.

Eventually it will form into a play dough like consistency.

Next grease your hands with crisco and kneed the dough on a powdered sugar surface. You may have to keep sprinkling with powdered sugar.

Stop by during the spring and summer for wedding season and I will document the steps for you.

Like I said it takes time but I think it is well worth the effort.

Happy Sweet Tooth Sunday ;)