Saturday, December 29, 2012

Champagne Cake

Wow! Can you believe it is almost 2013? The new year brings a time for reflection and new starts. As I reflect on the past year I realize how much I enjoy sharing my sweet creations and adventures with you. I hope you all have enjoyed the past few months of Sweet Tooth Saturdays and are excited to see what I have in store for the new year.

For Christmas I received a very unique dessert book...
He he he. The cakes in this book look and sound so delicious. I will try and share more recipes from this book with you this year. 

Since it is the new year, I found a very fitting cake...

Champagne Cake

Cake Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 egg whites
2 cups champagne

Let's get started. Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Mix in the vanilla and egg whites one at a time.

In a separate bowl combined the flour, baking powder and salt.

Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture to prevent curdling. 


Pour batter into 2 greased and floured cake pans. (9 inch)
Bake for 35 mins or until done.

While the cakes are baking work on your champagne frosting.

Frosting Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup champagne
1/4 cup whole milk
1 Tbs vanilla extract

Beat the butter for 1 minute. Gradually add sugar, champagne, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

Once the cakes have cooled, frost and decorate how ever you would like. 


I hope your new year starts off Sweet & Sparkly!

See you next Saturday :)

 


No comments: