Saturday, January 18, 2014

Homemade Fondant

Hello Sweet Toothers! So I hope this post is not too confusing. A few people have asked how I make my fondant. So here we go...

The stars of the show: (what a show it will be, bring a little patience)
1 2lb bag of powdered sugar
1 bag of mini marshmallows
a BIG bowl
1-2 tsp water
You will also need Crisco and a hard spatula or mixing spoon. These will come in handy in a bit.

First dump the marshmallows in a microwavable bowl. Sprinkle with the water and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Takes about 90-120 seconds.


Next sprinkle some powdered sugar into the bottom of your BIG bowl then pour the melted marshmallow on top.

The first time I did this I did it on my counter top...yes, go ahead and ponder that vision...Use a bowl!!! :)

Use your hard spatula and start scraping the powdered sugar into the marshmallow. This takes patience. Keep adding in your powdered sugar and keep mixing. It will begin to take shape...

Once it is starting to harden up (not a sticky mess) grease your hands with Crisco and start to kneed. If it starts to stick to your hands just re-grease. Keep working in the powdered sugar until you get a play dough consistency.

Your fondant is now ready to be colored and shaped into your fun master piece. I know this takes a little time. The more you practice the easier it gets and it is very worth it. I love making fondant and I am not a fan of the store bought variety. It is too hard for my liking and not as pliable as this homemade version. It's a lot cheaper too ;).

Just a few extra tips: When you roll it out, dust the surface with powdered sugar. You can also flavor your fondant with a little vanilla or almond extract for those who like to eat it. To tint just use food coloring and grease your hands again and kneed away.

Here is what I created with this batch of fondant...Too much fun!!!
Happy Sweet Tooth Saturday!

No comments: