Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apple Pie in a Jar

Today we celebrated my dad's birthday with a day at the pumpkin patch, watched the awesome buckeye game, then dinner & dessert of course!

For dinner I cooked Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon. Then to top it off, apple pie in a jar. Needles to say we were all in a food comma.

When I graduated college and was truly on my own, my mom created a binder of family recipes for me. Look at the picture that is on the cover.
Oh how I was in love with my Fisher Price Kitchen :). It's funny how you get back to the things you loved doing as a child.  So today I am sharing my families apple pie filling.

Ingredients:
6 cups peeled and thinly sliced cooking apples
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs. Flour
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of ground nutmeg
1 apple is about 1 cup sliced. I have one too many in this picture. I do like to mix the red/yellow apples with a tart green granny smith.

So peel and thinly slice the apples. Then add all other ingredients and mix.

This filling is nice and sweet but not too sweet and not too syrupy. It is my favorite! I guess I may be bias but I haven't found one that I have liked better.

On to making a pie in a jar.

Take your chilled pie dough and roll out.
Next take your mason jars and cut a circle to fit the bottom of the jar.

Then cut strips of the dough to fit on the sides of the jar.

Be sure to press the side to the bottom so there is no gaps.

Next fill with the yummy apples and top with another cut circle.

Take a fork to flute the edge and also cut a slit in the top.

Bake the jars at 350 for 30 mins, until the crust in golden.
Once cooled screw on lid and make it look cute :)

I added burlap and ribbon that says Bon Appetite.  Very fitting for my Julia Child's dinner.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Bon Appetite & Happy Sweet Tooth Saturday!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is comfort food at its best! Looks yummy and I bet it smells great too!

Anonymous said...

Cutest idea ever, and I even tasted one that you made and it was absolutely delicious!!