Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mint Filling

Today is a very special sweet tooth Saturday. It is a 2 part post.

Part 1:

This weekend I had a bridal shower cake to do. The inspiration for the top tier of the cake was Andes mints.
I started by baking two chocolate cakes. For the filling I made chocolate ganache and mint filling.

Ingredients for mint filling:
  • 6 Tbsp of softened butter
  • 2 cps powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp mint or peppermint extract
  • green food coloring
Mix all ingredients together on low speed until light and fluffy.

After your cakes have cooled ice with butter cream. Be sure to make a rim so the filling will not come out the sides.
Add your cooled chocolate ganache to both cakes and then top only one with the mint filling.

Carefully sandwich the two together and ice.
The bride to be loved the show Friends, here is a final look at the cake...
Part 2:

I had left over mint filling and chocolate ganache from the cake. Since Halloween is upon us I thought I would make some Halloween inspired cookies with a chocolate ganache and mint filling.

For the cookies:

Take a chocolate cake box mix and add 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of vegetable oil. Mix until well combined. Chill dough for 30 mins. Roll into a ball and place between parchment paper. I did not have any on have so I used plastic wrap.
Roll out and cut with your favorite Halloween cookie cutter.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes and cool.
Ice the back side of 2 cookies with the chocolate ganache and then 1 with the mint filling.


Sandwich together and serve on a cute Halloween plate.



These are very yummy! I would suggest using a small cookie cutter. They grow in the oven. These are some pretty big witch hats.

I hope you enjoyed this doubly sweet post! 










1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an awesome cake; I bet it was a big hit at the bridal shower!!

Love the Halloween treats too!