Sunday, March 31, 2013

Petit Fours

Hello everyone! Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was out of town again...actually delivering this weekends post. I told you last week to stop back for a play on "Mail from Grandma".

March is a very fun month for my Grandma and I. We both have birthdays in March, literally back to back. Mine was the 20th and my Grandma's was the 21st. Now the on going game each year is to see who's birthday will be on the first day of spring. This year it was mine but I guess you could say my Grandma's was the 1st official full day of spring :)...if you are in to technicalities.

So yesterday my family gathered together to celebrate Easter and my Grandma's birthday. I wanted to make her something "springy". Don't ask me why but I find Petit Fours delicate like new blooming spring flowers.

Mail "to" Grandma
Petit Fours

Ingredients:
Pound Cake
Buttercream Frosting
Jam of your choice

Powdered Sugar
Corn Syrup
Water
Almond Extract
Food Coloring

I purchased a half of a pound cake from the grocery store.
I cut the cake into thin slices and used my smallest circle cookie cutter to cut circles.
Next I used a thin layer of frosting and a thin layer jam on each circle and stacked 3 circles together. Then frosted the outside.
On the stove top I melted 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup water and  1Tbs of corn syrup. I stirred to combined and brought to a temperature of 100 degrees F.
Once to 100 degrees I removed it from the heat and stirred in a splash of almond extract and coloring. I decided to make it mixer blue :) surprise surprise.
I poured the icing over your mini cakes. Which I placed on a rack with a cookie sheet under it to catch the icing.
I poured a second layer because the first layer was thin. Then I adorned with a pink candy on top.
I placed the Petit Fours in a flower cupcake liner and in a cute "springy" box to hand deliver to my Grandma.
Of course we had to sample. Look at the cute cupcake liner and the yummy layers. It was delicious, if I do say so myself :). Definitely worth the tedious work.
A half of a pound cake from the store will make about 12 Petit Fours. I would double the poured icing ingredients so you will have enough. I hope you enjoyed this "springy" idea. Now only if it will start to feel like spring around here.

Have a sweet day!



No comments: